February 22, 2012

Elive Topaz 2.0 and Inspiron 4000

Well, I have an old Dell laptop Inspiron 4000, and I want to use it again.

The hard drive is not working anymore, so I changed it from another broken laptop, but since the CD tray doesn't work anymore and these computers don't have the option to boot from an external USB CD drive, I have to find a way to install an
operating system to this new hard drive.

Doing some searching on the web, I found that some linux based systems can give a new life to these old laptop computers.

I tried installing Ubuntu 11.04, and it was working very slow and also had some video problems. So, searching for a distro that could work better on this computer, I found Elive Topaz 2.0, and read very good things about it. So, I decided to download it and give it a try.

But, Elive Topaz 2.0 is not free, you can either pay for it or write an article about it, so you can get a code to install it in your hard drive, and well, here is mine...

And, since I haven't installed it yet in my Dell Inspitron 4000, I can't comment about it. Whenever I get the code and get the laptop running I will be posting my experience with this operating system, that looks very promising.

UPDATE: I couldn't make it work because the screen was in 3 parts, and I couldn't find the right configuration :(. But I did try this operating system in a desktop and it works very good, it is very fast and the graphics are very nice. And, well... about the Dell Inspiron 4000, it's working now, but with a different linux based operating system.

No comments:

Post a Comment